Monday, March 5, 2012

Secret Life of Bees Letter


Dear Zach,
            How are you? Sorry for not writing these past few weeks but time elapses so quickly whenever I visit August, June, and “July”. The nights and days go by so fast as we sit in the front porch drinking ice tea in order to cool down from the sweltering heat. As soon as I arrived they all started to interrogate me about our engagement - I’ve missed them a lot.
            Everybody is ok, your mother is great and getting better from the flu she had last week; the rest of the daughters are as fit as a fiddle - everyone here says hello. Lunelle has made me the most outlandish – but simply fabulous – of hats for the wedding. It will be great. Everything is ready for the big day to take place, the decorations have been meticulously made and flowers have been ordered – all we need now is for the groom to get here - I lionize all the daughters for getting everything together in such short time. All is conspiring for us to have an amazing wedding.
Who would have thought we would get married right here in Tiburon – when we met we couldn’t even go inside stores together. I am so glad times have changed, and people have become tolerant. There was such anarchy back then – I can still not apprehend how anyone could think so wrong.
Two days ago I received a phone call about T-Ray. I don’t know how they got my number or how they knew I was in town. The bizarre phone call came with terrible news; T-Ray has passed away. He died during a drunken bar fight, apparently some sort of dissension – people got violent. Five men were injured and there were two casualties. The men involved in the calamity will be arraigned next month. It is so hard to assimilate he fact that the man that shackled me to misery for so many years is dead. I feel such sorrow – even though he was never really a father to me, I guess deep inside I cared. It is horrible that this has happened with our wedding day so imminently approaching.
I can’t wait for you get to Tiburon, and for us to finally get married. Right back as soon as you get this.
Love,
Lily Mellissa Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment