I am from movies, from Coca-Cola, and Act-II
I am from the waxed hardwood floors
(Run-down, slippery
Perfect to run on)
I am from the berry bush and the gardenias
Whose bitter, bitter taste
Of losing the bet I
will never forget
I am from hot chocolate every afternoon
and white hairs, from
Vitos and Marias
I am from the readers and the realists
From you’re driving me crazy and tienes que esforzarte mas
I am from church, if grandma visits this year.
Pray before you leave
the house, never do,
Dios the
ampare
And Abuelita give me your blessing.
I’m from Quito, Ecuador mountains protecting the city, and
Every other place
I have picked something from,
To be part of my patchwork childhood
From pasta and locro
Always reminding me of my blood line
From the ship my great grandfather travelled on,
To New York and then down
The cardboard box my cousin used to shove us in
Whenever she got bored
I am from airports,
(They make me feel so at home)
From the safety video
I know so well
I am from the carved wooden chest in Abuelita’s
Living room
With yellowing photo albums, and a new picture always ready
to be found
From the 50’s to the 80’s, all before I stood
Old newspaper clippings, half-familiar faces staring back at
me
I am from those faces, waiting to be recognized –
I don’t know them, but I do—
Faraway but stuck together.
For more where I am from poems got to Middle Minds

No comments:
Post a Comment